Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Top 100 Challenge #71: Saving Private Ryan

This is another one all of you will recognize.

I saw this movie for the first time probably about two years ago at the urging of my younger brother, who is absolutely crazy about this movie.  I'm not as completely in love with it as he still is, but I would still give this movie a grade of: A.

This movie is good every time you see it, and has certain scenes that just always keep their power:  the storming of the beach, the stories about falling asleep in the old church, the final battle at the bridge.  The characters are dynamic and varied, interesting to watch.  The dialogue seems true to life, and depicts life as a soldier as it (probably) truly felt.

If there is one issue I have with this movie, it may be (and pardon the absolute girliness of it) that it's just too bloody.

Okay, I know it is trying to depict the grittiness of war; I know war was no picnic, and I find the cinematic blood and guts believable.  But still, some of it seems a little overdone.  Like the guy who blows himself to bits towards the end of the movie with a "sticky" bomb?  Poof, and he's gone in nothing more than a spray of fake blood.  Stuff like that, is a little unnecessary.  That one, to me, didn't even look real.

But, overly-bloodiness aside, this is still a great movie, and it's one you can watch again and again without really getting tired of it.  This one has earned its place as #71 on this list.  Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Sarah :)


No comments:

Post a Comment